Our code of practice
Sussex Music School Code of Practice (for teachers, schools)
SMS provides exceptional quality music tuition and training in schools across Sussex. We believe:
- that music is a universal language through which all of us are able to express ourselves
- music-making should always be creative and that all children have a right to a good quality music education.
Sussex Music School agree to:
- ensure excellent quality teaching, providing ongoing support and training to its teachers
- provide performance opportunities for all students
- Monitor our teachers ensuring best practice
- Ensure all teachers have an up-to-date police check (DBS) and are insured
- Deal with concerns or complaints swiftly and professionally
Teachers agree to:
- Work effectively by having specialist knowledge and skills.
- Adopt the appropriate attitude, behaviour and dress code.
- Manage my time effectively starting and finishing as planned and agreed.
- Be aware of the support I may need and request help when necessary.
- Keep up to date with all relevant paperwork such as planning and assessment documents
Be safe and responsible
- Take reasonable steps to ensure the safety of everyone in my care, especially children and vulnerable adults.
- Ensure that the activity is adequately insured.
- Provide references for my work on request and a Criminal Records Bureau disclosure.
Have appropriate musical skills
- Ensure that the level of skills, knowledge and understanding are sufficient to undertake the work I am doing.
- Demonstrate musical expertise, creativity and versatility.
- Have appropriate musical resources to be able to adapt and react to changing circumstances.
Work well with people
- Value all students and treat them with respect.
- Lead high quality and enjoyable music experiences.
- Be friendly, approachable and professional in my manner.
Commit to professional development
- I improve and update my skills, knowledge and creativity through regular training, personal reflection and membership of professional bodies.
Schools agree to:
- Provide an appropriate venue for instrumental lessons and where whole class teaching takes place, prepare the classroom in advance by moving tables and chairs if necessary.
- Provide access to any instruments owned by the school to the visiting teacher/trainer
- Agree and abide by a suitable time slot for the lesson
- Agree with the teacher/SMS at least one term in advance all dates when lessons will take place
- Give notice no later than one month before the end of a series of lessons, should they wish to terminate lessons. The visiting teacher will also do the same.